Assistant Project Manager
A prerequisite for those striving to become a Project Manager, this position is responsible for supporting the management of construction projects to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, and maximize financial performance.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in identifying and organizing information that determines costs for multiple projects to maximize financial performance.
- Collaborates with project team and the estimating department to develop an understanding of project scope.
- Works with project team and bid team to develop bid packages and solicits bids.
- Participates and assists with site logistics, schedule creation and project approach write up on RFP requests.
- Encouraged to participate in interview process for potential new work.
- Assists with developing and implementing the overall construction schedule with the project team.
- Reviews cost reports against budget with the project team and develops appropriate solutions to resolve variances.
- Participates in monthly project financial projections.
- Assist in identifying and controlling project risk, in coordination with the project team, to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, and mitigate financial exposure.
- Reviews and understands the implications of all contracts and contract documents and reports exposure(s) to project manager.
- Work together with on-site construction team and ensure thorough plan/ specification review.
- Assists with developing strategies with project team to mitigate subcontractor defaults.
- Enforces and supports project safety policies and practices.
- Enforces and supports project quality assurance/quality control policies and practices.
- Lead project meetings and project closeout process.
- Perform frequent on-site visual project review.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders (owner, design team, subcontractors, and others) to promote project efficiency and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities.
- Delivers an exceptional project experience to all customers.
- Promotes Knutson Construction’s name through community involvement
- Participates in the RFP process
- Initiates and utilizes professional networks.
- May participate in the selection, training, development, and performance of project management staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction by:
- Assisting in the recruitment process and provide input to the selection of qualified employees for vacant positions.
- Communicating job responsibilities and performance expectations to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolving internal and/or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
- Providing input to staff performance assessments; providing positive and constructive feedback on an ongoing basis to reinforce desired result.
- Identifying training and/or development opportunities that will assist the employee in achieving enhanced job performance and/or career objectives.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and proficiency in using personal computers and related Microsoft software including project management and schedule software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply project management construction processes.
- Basic knowledge of safety, quality and constructability issues.
- Knowledge of subcontracting processes including soliciting bids, reviews of scopes, drafting contracts and executing close out processes
- Basic knowledge of permitting processes.
- Skill in verbal and written communication and facilitating meeting with project teams, subcontractors, field personnel and owners.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet timelines for multiple projects.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field and minimum of 4 years of commercial construction experience or Associates Degree in a construction related field and a minimum of 7 years of commercial construction experience.
- Construction related certifications and trainings are highly desirable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Attn: Human Resources
7515 Wayzata Boulevard
Minneapolis, MN 55426
Knutson offers outstanding benefits including 401(k), profit sharing, bonus, and group insurance plus a competative salary.