Knutson Construction is accepting applications for a Chief Estimator to join our team our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
This position is responsible to provide leadership and estimating services to maximize Knutson Construction’s ability to secure profitable construction projects that meet the client’s needs while providing an exceptional customer experience.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Delivers “The Knutson Experience” to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides training and development opportunities to preconstruction staff and continuously works to enhance personal skills/abilities to retain a motivated, professional workforce.
- Develops large/complex project estimates, either for lump sum bids, or conceptual budgets.
- Mentors and reviews work of mid-level estimators.
- Works closely with senior level staff to promote and leverage the use of best practices and technology solutions to meet Knutson’s preconstruction needs.
- Proactively monitors public bid opportunities to pursue.
- Works closely with leadership and internal stakeholders to manage risks and opportunities.
- Develops and executes plans to continuously improve subcontractor relationships.
- Works with Operations to conduct postmortem reviews on projects.
- Updates and maintains estimating / preconstruction software and templates.
- Manages/maintains current market pricing and production rates in database to track self-perform and overall project historic data.
- Continuously improves software and templates to better provide preconstruction services.
- Develops accurate cost estimates / models / GMP’s including equipment, general conditions, front end materials and labor using 3D software, ensures estimates are coordinated with project managers’ front-end specifications, scopes of work, schedules, phasing and logistics plans.
- Performs real-time estimating, system analysis, long term maintenance studies and value engineering processes.
- Oversees risk management as it relates to project costs, subcontractor selection, construction methods and legal reviews of contracts on both lump-sum bid and negotiated projects.
- Helps develop accurate project schedules with senior level operations and preconstruction staff.
- Manages bid takers, analyzes bids, leads decision process and enters correct subcontractor bids
- Responds to and completes all other duties, tasks and/or projects as assigned.
- Strong management skills in leading teams through the estimating process.
- Strong leadership and development skills for coaching and training.
- Strong planning, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills in a cross functional environment.
- Individual must be collaborative and positive.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to travel to various construction sites; ability to physically review project sites which may involve use of stairways and mobilizing around the existing landscape.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time using a computer and reading plans/specifications.
- Ability to lift bid documents (plans and specifications) as needed, which can weigh up to 50 pounds.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering or a related field
- Minimum of 10 years of preconstruction/estimating experience
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.