Knutson Construction is accepting applications for an experienced Diversity Director to join our team in our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
The Diversity Director will develop, implement, and lead Diversity and Inclusion strategies to create a welcoming and inclusive environment across our organization. This role is a subject matter expert in diversity and inclusion for Knutson’s key leaders, HR, and employees and is responsible for mobilizing all levels of the organization to create and support diversity and inclusion.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partners with key leaders at Knutson to develop new diversity and inclusion strategies and create action and delivery plans to accelerate progress toward strengthening an inclusive, high performing culture while considering the unique needs of Knutson Construction
- Responsible for the strategic development of diversity and inclusion, including governance policies, process, and action plans
- Keeps current on diversity programs and developments by maintaining contact with others in the field (e.g., professional association and educational groups, and professional development efforts)
- Works closely with the HR team to complete EEO/AA/Vets programming and reporting compliance
- Provide resources and recommendations to pursuit teams to demonstrate a plan for how owner-proposed project goals are going to be met, or if not defined, providing level of commitment to be expected for the type and size of project
- Be a resource and assist project teams in improving diverse workforce performance as necessary to achieve project goals
- Connects subcontractors with minority and female labor workforce resources
- In conjunction with Human Resources and Superintendents, identify and implement strategic opportunities to develop our diverse trade labor pipeline, including best practices and programs to recruit BIPOC individuals into construction and the communities in which we operate
- Develop a high school workforce development program with the intent of offering a career in the trades versus a college career path
- Leads the development of policies and programs to attract, retain and promote a diverse field and office workforce
- Partners with HR to respond to issues that are diversity and inclusion related, and to strengthen the behaviors and culture that enable Knutson to proactively prevent racial discrimination and sexual harassment.
- Works with the Human Resources team to develop and implement diversity and inclusion programming for leaders and all employees on issues pertaining to inclusive and collaborative leadership, work style and career path differences
- In partnership with HR / Training, develop training or other programming to educate employees and managers on how to recognize, accommodate and appreciate individual differences and how these can be bridged back to assist in meeting company business plans
- Works collaboratively with the Marketing team to enhance Knutson Construction’s reputation for diversity and inclusion, including content for the company website and intranet
- Provides company team members a monthly schedule of community outreach and recommendations for attendance
- Develops metrics for measuring the effectiveness of corporate diversity initiatives implemented and prepares quarterly reports to management on the value of the initiatives.
- Monitors external diversity best practices and make recommendations for new initiatives to ensure Knutson Construction continues to develop into a leader in the diversity and inclusion space.
- Attends project team meetings periodically and as required to discuss the workforce and/or contracting performance on the project
- Attends project pursuit interviews on a routine basis to describe and promote the company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Be able to explain the unique aspects of Knutson’s Diversity Program, including the Knutson Alliance Program (KAP) and how it allows us to mentor diverse businesses
Required Skills and Abilities:
In addition to education and previous experience, there are several personal attributes often required for this position, including:
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, and communication skills
- Excellent computer proficiency
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines, while providing exemplary customer service
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with a focus on attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong technical skills, with proficiency in Microsoft based applications
- Strong understanding of business strategy and how to link Diversity & Inclusion and HR initiatives to business activities
- Ability to influence and partner with different levels of the organization (field and office) to achieve results
- Ability to lead/work as a team to build and maintain a positive work environment
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with 7-10 years of applicable experience including designing, developing, and leading diversity and inclusion and culture initiatives
- 2-4 years management experience preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.