Knutson Construction is accepting applications for an Estimator to join our team in our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
This position is responsible to provide timely and accurate takeoffs, estimates and preconstruction processes to help secure profitable construction projects for Knutson Construction.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares accurate takeoffs for self perform work to increase the probability of providing profitable work for Knutson Construction.
- Quantifies concrete, masonry, demotion and carpentry using 2D or 3D estimating software.
- Prices labor, material and equipment using historic data, past experience, supplier and rental firm pricing.
- Leverages supplier relationships and Knutson experience to win profitable Self Perform work.
- Leads the Self-Perform “SOP” Standard Operating Procedures in a team environment with both operations and site staff.
Hard Bid / Negotiated Projects:
- Prepares accurate estimates for project Hard Bids to secure profitable work for Knutson Construction.
- Leverages subcontractor relationships and the Knutson Experience to win profitable Hard Bid work.
- Completes accurate cost analyses to include equipment, general conditions, materials and labor.
- Develops accurate project schedules with senior level operations and preconstruction staff on hard bid projects.
- Reviews project schedules completed by operations on negotiated projects.
- Works with Estimating and Operation departments on analyzing bids on bid day.
- Completes subcontractor solicitation in a professional manner to meet goals for winning profitable new work.
- Works with senior level estimating staff to successfully pursue negotiated projects.
- Develops accurate quantity takeoff and cost models using 2D and 3D software.
- Prepares documentation for each milestone estimate.
- Works closely with Operations and senior level estimators on subcontractor analysis and buyout processes on negotiated projects.
- Prepares accurate cost models from conceptual documents through GMP documents for review by senior level operations and preconstruction staff.
- Attends interviews on project pursuits.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to enhance projects.
- Helps with developing the “Means and Methods” of construction that will be used to construct the project.
- Works with senior level staff on General and Special Condition requirements needed on our projects.
- Reviews all Front-End Specifications and Scopes of Work completed by operations staff on negotiated and hard bid projects.
- Attends post mortem reviews on projects to determine reasons for profitability or reasons for financial losses, and incorporates lessons learned in future bids.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders to promote profitable project wins and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities.
- Develops and executes plans to continuously improve subcontractor relationships.
- Keeps senior level estimators informed of key issues/opportunities that impact project success.
- Promotes the Knutson Construction name through community involvement.
- Delivers the Knutson Experience.
- Continuously works to enhance personal skills/abilities to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction.
- Identifies training and/or development opportunities that will assist an employee in achieving enhanced job performance and/or career objectives.
- Works closely with senior level staff to promote and leverage the use of technology by staff; attends training to stay abreast of available technology for 3D estimating and other preconstruction needs.
- Respond to and complete all other duties, tasks and/or projects as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong planning, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills in a cross functional environment
- Individual must be collaborative and positive
- Highly organized, able to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to travel to various construction sites; ability to physically review project sites which may involve use of stairways and mobilizing around the existing landscape.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time using a computer and reading plans/specifications.
- Ability to lift bid documents (plans and specifications) as needed, which can weigh up to 50 pounds.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or a related field and (2-5) years of commercial construction experience or Associate’s Degree in a construction related field and 5+ years of commercial construction experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.