Human Resources Manager
Knutson Construction is accepting applications for a Human Resources Manager to join our team in our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
The HR Manager is a key individual contributor, hands-on role that works closely with our HR team, employees, and leaders to create and execute programs that drive engagement, improve organizational performance, and connect to our culture. This role will not have direct reports but is expected to serve as a collaborative coach and mentor for others in the department. The right person for this role will welcome a variety of responsibilities across a broad range of HR disciplines, including: talent acquisition and onboarding; compensation and benefits; performance and talent management, employee relations, training & development, and engagement activities. To be successful, this person must exhibit and deliver on our culture and core values and provide collaborative services and a positive employee experience by engaging, enabling, and empowering our employees and leaders.
If you are energized by having a variety of ways to make an impact, have a passion for providing collaborative customer service and are driven to be hands-on in helping enable the success of employees, we want to hear from you! Knutson Construction supports a flexible work environment, and this role will allow for a reasonable hybrid (combination of office and remote) work arrangement. This role reports directly to the vice president of human resources.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate and model our company’s core values and culture in all interactions
- Provide hands-on, collaborative service and support to employees and leaders, with a continuous eye for improving processes and policies
- Actively support programs and activities intended to enhance employee engagement
- Effectively drive innovative talent acquisition strategies and deliver talent by managing our sourcing & screening methods, school & community recruiting partnerships, and employment advertising/branding efforts to deliver a diverse and highly effective team
- Explore and participate in memberships and affiliations with trade/professional organizations relevant to the construction industry
- Collaborate cross-functionally to enhance our employer branding efforts and to ensure Knutson stands out to potential candidates during campus recruiting or other events
- Oversee the preparation of new hire documentation, benefits, offers, background checks, etc.
- Assist with employee onboarding efforts to accelerate each new employee’s time to impact
- Manage health & welfare benefit administration, including employee status changes, reviewing invoices for accuracy, communicating with vendors, troubleshooting benefits issues, and participating in the renewal process, benefit meetings and open enrollment
- Deliver on compensation programs (salary adjustments, bonuses, profit-sharing).
- Provide performance management guidance to employees and leaders (coaching, advising, counseling, development, goal setting, disciplinary actions)
- Establish effective relationships enhancing successful coaching and advising outcomes
- Effectively and objectively resolve employee relations issues
- Assist our training department with assessing, planning, implementing, and conducting training & development opportunities/programs
- Proactively seek out continuous education and development opportunities through ongoing educational classes, professional organizations, seminars, etc. to remain up to date on HR practices
- Operate in compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements
- Partner with safety and diversity leaders to support their key programs and goals
- All other duties, tasks and/or projects as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Provides collaborative services and a positive employee experience by engaging with, enabling, and empowering our employees and leaders
- Committed to upholding professional, ethical, and confidential standards and expectations
- Excellent and effective written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, with a focus on attention to detail and quality
- Proficiency in Microsoft based applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to assess and solve problems collaboratively
- This position is based in our Minneapolis, MN office and may require some travel to support other offices, field staff and talent acquisition activities
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (preferred) or equivalent HR experience
- A minimum of 7 years of hands-on HR experience in multiple HR disciplines
- Specialized HR-related training and/or certifications are a plus.
- Experience in companies with multiple offices and/or field employees preferred.
- Previous experience working in the construction industry preferred but not required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.