Knutson Construction is accepting applications for a Project Manager to join our team in our Mankato office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
This position assumes ownership of multiple projects; the number of projects depending on the size of projects. The Project Manager is responsible for establishment and control of all construction project administration and delivery of customer expectations through collaboration of the project team, continuous development, compliance, safety and quality assurance.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Establish and ensure all project team members are accountable to their deliverables in the project process. Examples include:
- Responsible for the overall construction and closeout phases of project.
- Develop and implement the overall construction schedule with entire project team.
- Collaborate with estimating and marketing departments.
- Assume responsibility and appropriately administer cost management for each project.
- Review cost reports against budget with project team and suggest appropriate solutions to resolve variances; which are communicated to management.
- Accountable to management for monthly project team meeting (PTM) reporting.
- Schedule and conduct project meetings and project closeout process.
- Facilitate schedule creation, maintenance, and compliance.
- Take responsibility for change and suggest innovative ideas to assist in the problem-solving process and gain necessary approvals.
- Work together with on-site construction team and ensure thorough plan/ specification review.
- Perform frequent on-site visual project review. Ensure compliance with standards, regulation, laws, safety policies, construction schedule, and construction quality and specification requirements.
- Responsible for completing the procurement and project buyout process.
- Maintains assigned key customer relationships and provides insight to the RFP process while working closely with BD and other key staff.
- Plays a significant role in the interview process for winning new work.
- Participates actively in community and industry events and activities to build professional networks and promote Knutson Construction.
- Align schedule and work flow to accommodate reasonable pursuit schedules, ensuring Knutson’s long term success.
- Proactively seek opportunities for improvement of communication and speaking skills to support future pursuit efforts.
- Delivers The Knutson Experience on each project.
Identifies and controls project risk, in coordination with the project team, to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment and mitigate financial exposure by:
- Managing project to achieve the established margin goal
- Reviews and understands the implications of all contracts and contract documents and reports exposure(s) to management.
- Enforces and supports project safety policies and practices.
- Develops and consistently implements, with support from project team, quality assurance/quality control policies and practices.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders (such as owners, design teams, subcontractors, and others) to promote project efficiency and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities and new work.
- Participates in the proposal and bidding process.
- Initiates and utilizes professional networks.
Performs and participates in the Preconstruction process:
- Responsible for the operations side of the preconstruction process under the leadership of the preconstruction department.
- Participates in proposals by providing schedules, logistic plans, narratives, etc.
- On negotiated projects, provide logistic plans, phasing plans, front end specifications, scopes of work and schedules as needed for the preconstruction department to complete estimates.
- On hard bid projects, work with bid team on subcontractor bidding process.
- On both negotiated and hard bid projects, lead the buyout and subcontractor selection process.
Participates in the selection, training and development, and performance of project management staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction by:
- Assisting in the recruitment process and provide input to the selection of qualified employees for vacant positions.
- Communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolves internal and/or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
- Conducts staff performance reviews; provides positive and constructive feedback on an ongoing basis to reinforce desired result.
- Identifies training and/or development opportunities that will assist the employee in achieving enhanced job performance and career objectives.
- Respond to and complete all other duties, tasks and/or projects as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and proficient in using personal computers and related software including project management and accounting applications.
- Knowledge of owner contract negotiations and contract related risk.
- Knowledge of subcontractor relationships and a proven track record of holding them accountable for their responsibilities.
- Knowledge of permitting processes; ability to procure timely permits based on project schedules.
- Ability to hold subcontractors and project team accountable for designated tasks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to manage project financials.
- Demonstrated skill in analyzing project forecasts (financial and schedule) against physical completion to identify potential issues.
- Skill in coordinating and facilitating meetings.
- Ability to identify and resolve quality and construction issues.
- Ability to resolve disputes quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to lead a team.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field and minimum of 5-7 years of commercial general contracting experience or Associates Degree in a construction related field and a minimum of 8-10 years of commercial general contracting experience.
- Construction related certifications and trainings are highly desirable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.