The Senior Accountant is an important role for Knutson Construction’s overall accounting department by having primary responsibility of the general ledger through preparing journal entries, reconciling financial statements and accounts, and ensuring data accuracy.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform bank reconciliations, inter-company reconciliations, AP, AR, Prepaids, Accruals, and all other month-end general ledger reconciliations.
- Manage journal entries and ensure proper general ledger coding in support of monthly closings.
- Reconcile accounts with the general ledger and ensure all entries are accurate and transactions are reported in accordance with accounting standards and government regulations. Make necessary changes when errors are found.
- Prepare journal entries relating to fixed asset additions, amortization, depreciation, accruals, and a variety of other information. Ensure entries align with generally accepted accounting principles.
- At the end of the month or year, record information such as accrual, deferral, reclass, and interdepartmental entries into the company’s accounting ledger.
- Calculate and enter recurring monthly journal entries in the general ledger.
- Account for all general liability, workers compensation, medical/dental insurance payments, prepayments, accruals, and reserves. Perform account analysis to make sure that entries and balances are correct.
- Check accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness to include auditing master records and transactional data.
- Executing accounting data to external tax accountant as necessary for corporate and partnership income tax filings.
- Process quarterly estimated income tax payments for Knutson and all related entities.
- Reconcile related party receivables and provide backup to ensure timely reimbursement of costs.
- Conduct audits to maintain truthful and precise data in documents.
- Audits accounts to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Coordinates with outside auditors and provides needed information for the annual external audit and the income tax returns.
- Other duties as necessary or assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, with a focus on attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong technical skills, with proficiency in Microsoft-based applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Committed to upholding the highest professional work standards, confidentiality and ethics
- Advanced Excel skills, including performing V-lookups and pivot tables on a regular basis
- Positive, can-do attitude; diplomacy and approachability
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance highly recommended and at least four years of previous accounting experience
- Has the knowledge of technical accounting functions and is experienced in financial record keeping and bookkeeping
- Has a full understanding of a general ledger chart of accounts enough to ensure accurate and timely coding, input and report generation of A/P and A/R or billing data
- Construction industry accounting experience is strongly preferred but not required
- CPA license is preferred but not required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.