Knutson Construction is accepting applications for an experienced Superintendent to join our team in our Iowa office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
We are looking for candidates who have had 7-15 years of construction related experience, with some of those years in commercial construction. Construction related certifications are desirable as well. The Superintendent will be responsible for providing on-site management of construction projects to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, and maximize financial performance.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with Project Management team for development and review of Subcontractor Scope of Work documents
- Mentoring opportunities for Assistant Superintendent, Foreman, and Project Engineers.
- Prepares and tracks all required logs and inspections as required by OSHA and MPCA.
- Prepares and submits weekly time cards.
- Leads daily huddles for the project to discuss safety, current work activities, and disruption avoidance.
- Coordinates with Project Engineer for development of Procurement Log for the project.
- Completes daily log, receives subcontractor logs and implements into overall log.
- Develops and updates master schedule in coordination with the project team, and controls implementation at the site to ensure timely project completion.
- Assist Project Management team in writing and managing RFI’s.
- Collaborates with the Estimating Department to develop an understanding of project scope, plans, and specifications.
- Plans and coordinates site activities daily to promote project efficiency and profitability.
- Develops and communicates the site logistics plan to include multiple project phases.
- Reviews and approves the sequencing of materials, equipment, and sub-contractors to the site.
- Serves as a liaison between the owner and the construction team to deliver The Knutson Experience.
- Enforces corporate quality assurance/quality control policies and practices.
- Manages on-site construction project costs to maximize financial performance and minimize risk.
- Prepares and submits weekly project productivity reports.
- Approves invoices and allocates construction project costs.
- Identifies and communicates out-of-scope work to the project team.
- Identifies and provides documentation of project related issues (such as labor, costs, delays, weather) that can impact the financial performance of the job.
- Understands, communicates and enforces a safety culture to ensure a safe working environment on the project site, preventing accidents and lost time injuries.
- Facilitates weekly safety meetings.
- Conducts safety audits on a continuous basis and adjusts as needed.
- Works with the Safety Department in responding to on-site OSHA inspections.
- Completes and submits all required documentation for safety accidents on a timely basis
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders (such as owners, design teams, subcontractors, inspectors, regulatory agencies and others) to promote project efficiency and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to enhance the project.
- Works with stakeholders to identify alternative solutions.
- Provides input to the communication plan for stakeholders.
- Participates in business development activities and estimating to support the growth objectives of Knutson Construction.
- Delivers The Knutson Experience
- Participates in the selection, training, development and performance of field staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction.
- Recruits and provides input to the selection of qualified employees for vacant positions.
- Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolves internal and/or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
- Communicates and models the vision and values of Knutson Construction to create a sense of teamwork among employees.
- Identifies training and/or development opportunities that will assist the employee in achieving enhanced job performance and/or work-related objectives
Require Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in using personal computers and Microsoft software
- Ability to identify project risks.
- Knowledge and ability to adhere to building codes, OSHA standards and state and Federal regulations.
- Knowledge of construction processes (reading drawings, understanding specifications, field labor, etc.)
- Skill in negotiating sub-contracts using tact and persuasion.
- Skill in tracking, managing and projecting project status.
- Skill in managing and executing project goals (including DBE, minority).
- Skill in coordinating and facilitating meetings.
- Demonstrated skill in verbal and written communication with project teams, subcontractors, field personnel and owners.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands to meet project requirements/schedules.
- Ability to resolve most problems escalated from field staff.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.