Knutson Construction is accepting applications for a Superintendent to join our team in our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
This position based in Minneapolis, MN is responsible for providing on-site management of commercial construction projects to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, deliver The Knutson Experience, and maximize financial performance.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leads project site field operations for company
- Develops and updates master schedule in coordination with the project team, and controls implementation at the site to ensure timely project completion.
- Understands, communicates, and enforces a Zero Incident safety culture to ensure a safe working environment on the project site, preventing accidents and lost time injuries.
- Plans, coordinates, and communicates site activities daily for project efficiency and profitability.
- Reviews and approves the sequencing of materials, equipment, and sub-contractors to the site.
- Works with Project Management team for development and review of Subcontractor Scope of Work documents.
- Mentoring opportunities for Assistant Superintendent, Foreman, and Project Engineers.
- Prepares and tracks all required logs and inspections as required by OSHA and MPCA.
- Prepares and submits weekly timecards.
- Leads daily project huddles to discuss safety, current work activities, and disruption avoidance.
- Coordinates with Project Engineer for development of Procurement Log for the project.
- Completes daily log, receives subcontractor logs, and implements into overall log.
- Assists Project Management team in writing and managing RFI’s.
- Collaborates with the Estimating Department to understand project plans and specifications.
- Serves as a liaison between the owner and construction team to deliver The Knutson Experience.
- Enforces company quality assurance/quality control policies and practices.
- Manages on-site construction project costs to maximize financial performance and minimize risk.
- Approves invoices and allocates construction project costs.
- Identifies and communicates out-of-scope work to the project team.
- Identifies and provides documentation of project related issues (such as labor, costs, delays, weather) that can impact the financial performance of the job.
- Conducts safety audits and safety meetings on a continuous basis.
- Works with the Safety Department in responding to on-site OSHA inspections.
- Completes and submits all required documentation for safety accidents on a timely basis.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders (such as owners, design teams, subcontractors, inspectors, regulatory agencies, and others) to promote project efficiency and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities.
- Works with stakeholders to identify alternative solutions to project challenges.
- Participates in business development activities to support company growth objectives.
- Assists in the selection, training, development, and performance of field staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction.
- Communicates and models the vision and values of Knutson Construction to create a sense of teamwork among employees.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- 8-10 years (minimum) experience as a commercial construction Superintendent; having safely completed projects from start to finish (expertise in project life cycle).
- Experience leading self-performed work (concrete, demo, finish work, flat work, etc.) during Superintendent experience tenure.
- Knowledge and adherence to building codes, OSHA standards and state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of construction processes (reading drawings/blueprints, understanding specifications, field labor, etc.).
- Skill in negotiating sub-contracts using tact and persuasion.
- Skill in tracking, managing, and projecting project cost and schedule status.
- Skill in managing and executing project goals (including DBE spend, workforce diversity, etc.).
- Demonstrated skill in verbal and written communication with project teams, subcontractors, field personnel and owners; able to confidently communicate and influence for desired outcomes.
- Ability to motivate others to achieve project goals.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands to meet project requirements/schedules.
- Personable and energetic with strong communication skills.
- Sets the example for our Zero Incident safety mindset.
- Professional, calm demeanor.
- Proactive problem solver capable of managing conflict and resolving problems. escalated from field staff while maintaining confidentiality.
- Willingness to travel as needed to support projects.
- Experience as a Superintendent at a commercial general contractor strongly preferred.
- Has experience successfully completing $20M-$40M commercial projects as a lead Superintendent.
- Experience with commercial projects in the healthcare/medical field a plus.
- Direct experience having worked in one or more construction trades.
- Knowledge and skill in using personal computers and Microsoft software.
- Remodeling experience.
- Past experience and involvement in new project interviews.
- Completed OSHA 30 training and/or other related safety training programs.
- Other construction-related certificates are desirable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.